General Diagnosis Includes:
- visual diagnosis
- microscopic examination
- culturing for pathogens
- disease control recommendations
- Homeowners: $20/sample
Homeowners are encouraged to contact their county extension office before sending a sample to TDL
- Site visits are not normally available during the summer months. Spring and fall site visits may be available for $100.
- There are no additional fees for samples sent from outside Wisconsin.
Step 1: You Prepare Samples for Submission.
- Collect and submit samples early in the week, especially if sending by mail. Avoid mailing samples on a Thursday or Friday, as they might sit in shipping over the weekend.
- Send an adequate representation of the problem. Select samples from the transition zone between healthy and affected turf. Sample when symptoms are evident.
- A 6″ plug is a good size to submit. Include the roots (1 to 2 inches deep). Plugs taken with a cup cutter are ideal. Samples collected with a soil probe are too small.
- Submit fresh samples. Package and mail immediately. If a sample must wait, put it in a cooler or refrigerator. DO NOT SEND JUST DEAD GRASS! Please send UPS or FedEx to ensure timely delivery.
- Package plugs with different problems separately.
- This is not a soil test. We visually and microscopically inspect the plants themselves (leaves, stems, roots, crowns) for evidence of fungal diseases or problematic insects.
Step 2: You Download and Print the Submission Form.
You can also fill out the submission form online.
Completely fill out a submission a form with each sample. Provide in your description:
- The kind of grass and age of the planting
- Location of the turf (greens, fairways, tees, lawn)
- A description of the pattern of damage and its progression over time (photos are highly recommended)
- Date when the problem was first observed
- Soil conditions (soil type, drainage, etc.)
- Weather conditions prior to symptom development
- Recent pesticide and fertilizer applications
- A tentative diagnosis if you have one
Step 3: You Mail Your Sample(s) to Us.
Turfgrass Diagnostic Lab
2502 County Highway M
Verona, WI 53593
Step 4: We Process Your Sample.
Step 5: We Invoice You.
Step 6: You Submit Payment to Us.
Since additional diagnostic tests may be necessary in processing your sample(s), please do not submit payment until you receive our invoice.
We offer three payment methods for clients:
- Credit Card – pay online
Click here to pay online with a credit card at our secure web page.
Type in the given invoice number in the ‘Invoice’ box and the amount owed in the ‘Amount” box. Please do not pay online in advance of receiving the invoice. Up to three invoices can be paid at once. We accept VISA, Mastercard, Discover, American Express, and Diners Club.
- Check – write a check payable to the Turfgrass Diagnostic Lab for the proper amount ($20 per sample for homeowners or $100 sample for commercial managers) and include with sample submission or an invoice will be emailed to your address following the diagnosis.
- Set up an Account With Us – see our contract information page.
- Credit Card – pay online
Please contact us (see submission form) if you need more information on how to collect or package samples.
When to Follow Up
If three or more days have passed since you mailed your sample(s) and we haven’t contacted you, please call us to confirm we received your sample(s).